Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I get my name on the eligibility list?

A. Call Children's Home Society (714) 543-2273 or visit their website.

Q. How often should I update my eligibility questionnaire?

A. Once you are notified that you are on the eligibility list by Children's Home Society (CHS), you must update your information whenever there is a change in your status. Status updates include changes of address, telephone, income and family size. If there is no change in your status, you must call every six (6) months to indicate you wish to remain on the Centralized Eligibility List (CEL).

Q. How long before my family can receive services?

A. Since families are added to the eligibility list daily, there is no definite time to determine how long a family will wait for services. When funding becomes available, families are enrolled by the following priority:

-Families referred by Child Protective Services.
-Families with the lowest ranking on eligibility list based on gross monthly income and adjusted family size.

Q. When will I know that it is my turn to be enrolled by an agency?

A. The specified agency will contact you by mail and/or phone.

Q. Does Family Support Services provide referral for child care providers?

A. The Orange County Department of Education does not provide referrals. Children’s Home Society of California is the Resource and Referral agency for Orange County. They can provide you with information regarding providers in your area. They can be reached Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at (714) 543-2273.

Q. How much do families pay for subsidized child care services?

A. Fees are assessed on a sliding scale basis. Fees are based on family gross income and family size.

Q. Are there other programs that provide subsidized child care besides Family Support Services?

A. There are many subsidized child care providers who operate center based programs in Orange County. Children’s Home Society’s Resource and Referral program can be contacted for more information regarding these providers (714) 543-2273.